Easiest Gluten-Free Peasant Bread Ever

While browsing food blogs the other day I stumbled upon this peasant bread recipe which looked like a good candidate for gluten-free baking. One reason is that it is a no-knead recipe, which works well for gluten-free flours, and the other was that the ingredient list was surprisingly short and simple. My bread did not turn out as prettily as Alexandra’s, but it was easy and the tastiest gluten-free bread I’ve had since, well, ever. I replaced the four cups of flour with: 1.5 C of gluten-free oat flour, 1 C millet flour, 1/2 C tapioca starch, 1/2 C Brown Rice Flour, and 1/2 C sorghum flour. I added 1 teaspoon xanthan gum and replaced the butter with olive oil for greasing the Pyrex bowls which are used in baking this bread. (You can use a different pan, but I went ahead and used the Pyrex bowls and am glad I bought them as I’ll be making this bread recipe again and again.) The crust turned out crisp and golden, while the inside was soft and delightful. Truly a more than pleasant peasant bread.

Advertisements

About kristenannmoore

Gluten free, mainly vegetarian mom living in beautiful Western Washington, but love to travel. My two boys have various other food intolerances including gluten, so I think and write about food quite a bit. Author of the children's book, The Knight Owl, which has it's own blog:http://theknightowlblog.wordpress.com/.
This entry was posted in gf bread, gluten free, gluten free bread, gluten intolerant and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Easiest Gluten-Free Peasant Bread Ever

1. Tesia says:

I just looked up gluten free peasant bread and found your blog! Coincidentally we both live in Western Washington! I live on Vashon Island. I am baking bread right now for my farm stand. Looking into gluten free as another bread option. Thanks for your great blog!

Liked by 1 person

• Thanks! Funnily enough, I am baking bread right now too. I just got Jennifer Katzinger’s (another Washingtonian!) new gluten free/vegan bread baking book and am trying out a buckwheat loaf. Good luck with your experimenting :0)!

2. Kathy Temean says:

Kristen,
    I am going to pass this on to all my gluten free writer friends. Sounds delicious.
    Kathy

Liked by 1 person

3. Sarhn says:

Can’t wait to try this recipe. I so want to master a simple gluten free bread. Thankyou – now I am feeling hopeful and maybe even confident.

Liked by 1 person

4. Sarhn says:

Noticed that when I comment on blogs from my mobile phone, it automatically links my professional/ business website instead of my sustainability blog (very annoying).

I believe I have fixed it….So fingers crossed I have added this comment too.

Thankyou for following my blog – it meant I was able to discover yours. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. Sarhn says:

Third time lucky. If the link doesn’t connect to my sustainability blog this time, I promise I won’t try again. Technology is fun isn’t it. 🙂

Liked by 1 person